Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Rubber Boots are a Girl's Best Friend

Today was activity day in school, so instead of having lessons, everyone did different activities with their classes. I guess normally classes choose a sport to play together, but since the gymnasium is being renovated we went on a hike instead. I was excited!
We left at 8:30. There were 10 signs along the path that we had to stop at and answer questions. I was on a team with three other girls and two boys.
Oh, and did I mention that is was raining?
I didn't?
Well, it was raining.
Very hard.
The first stop was one of the teachers houses. One of the team members had to kick a soccer ball until the missed, then they were out (all the people shooting took turns, so in the end there was only one person left in). Then we had to identify some album covers and lyrics from songs. We got to stand inside for that part; it was nice to be out of the rain.
While we were walking I got very hot because I was wearing a sweater, a vest and my rain jacket, so when we stopped I took my vest off, but since we stood around for so long, I got very chilled again, so I had to put my cold, wet vest back on. Honestly it wasn't much help.
Then we walked down a road for a while. There were sheets of paper (in plastic, thank goodness) tacked one trees occasionally. Those were the "posts" where we had to answer questions.
We eventually turned off the road onto a trail in the woods. The trail was very steep and completely flooded. It literally looked like we were walking up a river. Some people wore sneakers. I wore my rubber boots, and quite honestly I can't remember a time I have been happier about my footwear.  My jeans were soaked, my rain coat was soaked, my vest was soaked, my sweater was soaked and my back pack literally had puddles in the bottom of it. Everything was sopping wet... Except one thing. My feet! I can not stand being in wet socks and shoes, so rubber boots are truly a beautiful thing (thanks for mailing them mom!)
This is the very little cabin we ate in.
We got to eat inside, thank goodness!
It was pretty crowded.
When we got to the cabin we ate lunch. There wasn't enough room for everyone inside so some of the people who got there last wound up having to eat on a bench outside in the rain.
When we were all done with lunch the teachers told us we did a great job and we could go home. It was still before noon.


Johan's class went to a different area, so I asked Julie (another girl from Hegra) for a ride home. Julie, Kristin, a few others and I walked down on a different path than we went up on. The trail was still a river.. and the field we went through was a lake.
It was pretty slippery!
And muddy!!
I always feel a little awkward at first when I take my camera out to take pictures of ordinary things, but then I remember that I'm the exchange student and nobody is going to judge me.
I risked soaking my camera in order to get some pictures of the hike.
Kristin and I kept slipping in the mud! It was so funny because when she slipped it would startle me so I would slip too and vice versa. We laughed so hard.


Cute little farm. 



We got to a farm and then didn't really know where to go from there, but we eventually found the way.
I got home at noon-ish and just relaxed for the rest of the day.



Det var en fantastisk dag!!




Trail? Try river!




There was so much water.

Some people had the proper attire (a.k.a. rubber boots)
Some people didn't think ahead...
Sneakers don't do that well in water..

Hiked up that river.
"Woah! That was a lot deeper than I thought!"



We got soaked, but we had fun! 

Look at all that water!

The result.

My best friends. 

No better way to end a day a day then with
some nice hot coco :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Siblings Already

Siblings Already
These are pictures that I found of my host brother on facebook compared to pictures of myself (from facebook). It looks like we're going to get along pretty well :D