Saturday, September 3, 2011

Busy Busy Busy

Right after I published my last post on Saturday, Isabella and I went horse back riding. The horses are Icelandic... They are the shortest horses I've ever ridden! We went through the woods and I'm not going to lie, I was pretty nervous at first. The terrain was steep and uneven and there are roots and branches everywhere. Isabella told me that it is always amazing because you'll come to a hill and think that there is no way the horses will be able to get up it, but they always do. Icelandic horses are tough.


Hell Station


Thea and Johan took me on a trip to Trondheim Saturday evening. We stopped at Hell's station to take some pictures. We had to take the longer way to Trondheim because we were in the convertible so we couldn't drive through the tunnel because the air isn't fresh in there. When we got there we walked to a big church. It was really pretty. Thea told me that one of the towers is haunted by the ghost of a monk.



This is the view from the
spinning restaurant!

We walked around for a little bit then we decided to go to dinner (it started raining). They brought me to a huge tower restaurant. The top floor spins so you can see all of Trondheim. We waited for a very long time to get a table up there. We were all starving! It was a lot of fun sitting on the spinning floor and getting to know my siblings better :)

John Deere.. Alright!
Sunday we went to the Agrisjå (which is sort of like a fair but it didn't have any rides). There were people showing horses, there were small animals (små dyr) and there were a bunch of tents selling food and crafts. Mamma bought me a baked potato with cheese, ham, dressing and corn (among other things) on it, yumm! Then she bought me a nice pair of wool slippers!


This was my potato!
It was delicious!



små dyr!

Power Team!!!

We had to work for the 4-H club for a while picking up trash. There wasn't that much trash on the ground to pick up. While we were working, it started pouring! We got soaked! Some ladies gave us hats to try to help keep us dry. We went from tent to tent to get back to the main building (which was really a nice room carved out of a hillside) and stay as dry as possible.
We were supposed to go directly to a birthday party after but Johan and I didn't have dry clothes with us, so we went home and changed first. After the party Johan and I watched people singing horribly on youtube. We were in stitches!

On Monday I had my first biology class and my first gym class. My biology teacher sort of looks like Mr. Douglas (one of the old bio teachers from home). I understand a little bit more in that class than in the other ones (for now at least) because many of the words are very similar to English. Gym class was a lot of fun! Johan drove there so I didn't have to take the bus and since it was the last period of the day we got to go straight home after. We played some fotball (soccer) then we had a choice between more fotball or volleyball. I played volleyball and it was a lot of fun (I'm not very good though)
After dinner, Mamma, Thea and I fell asleep in patio chairs in the sun. It was so nice.

The rest of the week went by pretty quickly. I got invited to a girls night next week! I'm so happy that everyone is so nice and seems to be very accepting of me. It means so much when people smile, or say hi or invite me to sit with them.

Thrusday it was my mom's birthday (The one in VT). Pappa came home just before dinner and he had a birthday cake so we could celebrate! It was so nice of him to think of my family at home like that! The cake was so good too!

Mmmmm! :)
This weekend there is a blues festival in Hell (No, I'm not joking... There is a Hell here, and a Hell's Station). Friday night Pappa, Johan and I went to check it out. It was pretty cool.
There are blue shoes everywhere for
Blues in Hell!

 Then today we went into Stjørdal to see what was going on. There were some people swing dancing for a little bit. It was pretty cool. Also there were a bunch of tents set up and people from the different political parties handing things out. I got a bunch of buttons, a lanyard, some free vafler, and a rose.
Johan and I we to Tivoli (which is like the portion of the fair that has all the rides). We only went on two of the rides but it was so much fun!
I have a new favorite food. For dinner we had steak and fløtegratinerte poteter (creamed potatoes). They are delicious!

I have started watching children's television shows to help me improve in Norwegian. Playhouse Disney. I hope it helps! I'm starting to get a little frustrated with my limited language ability..
but as Pappa said:

"det blir likar i mårrå"

or
  
"It will become better tomorrow"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Siblings Already

Siblings Already
These are pictures that I found of my host brother on facebook compared to pictures of myself (from facebook). It looks like we're going to get along pretty well :D