Monday, August 6, 2012

Home is Where the Heart is

This morning I woke up a little before 7.
I came downstairs and fed my cat.

For breakfast I cooked an egg.
Realizing I was running late, I rushed to grab my rock climbing shoes, harness and my day pack with my lunch inside. I'm helping to run a climbing camp for 10, 11 and 12 year old kids this week.
When I got home my parents and I ate grilled chicken and corn. After dinner my parents went kayaking and I clicked on the television to watch the Olympics.
Summer is in full swing here. The hot days melt into the humid nights as the last few fireflies twinkle in my back yard. The occasional thunderstorm rolls down the valley and leaves the heavy air feeling fresh, if only for half an hour.
My point of telling you about this astonishingly average scene is that: I'm home.
Not home in Hegra anymore but home-home.
In Vermont.
And I've finally been able to settle into my new routine (or maybe it is my old routine?).
So much happened in my last months in Norway. I was struggling to keep up with my blog... and I was obviously not doing a very good job with it. I got about half way through a post about russetid and the 17th of May (which is Norway's national holiday) and decided to just give up. I told myself when I got back to the USA I would finish that post, and write a lot more. I have so much to write about.
I spent my time with my family and friends instead of tip-tapping away on my keyboard. I apologize to those of you that enjoyed my (nearly) steady blog posts this past year but it was really the best choice I could have made. As the clock ticked down I fully submerged myself in my Norwegian life. I went on so many adventures and made so many memories that I will hold for the rest of my life.
I will try to finish the half-done post about May and make an attempt at other posts, just to wrap up my year. But the thing is, this year will never be over for me. I don't mean I will live in the past for the rest of my life or anything but this year will never stop affecting me.
My new family and friends, all the memories I've made and everything I learned about myself and about the world. It will all stick with me forever.
Norway changed me and I'm glad I got to share it with everyone.
I promise I'm not done yet...
As long as you will read it, I will write it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Siblings Already

Siblings Already
These are pictures that I found of my host brother on facebook compared to pictures of myself (from facebook). It looks like we're going to get along pretty well :D