Thursday, December 15, 2011

Juletider, Bursdager og Meg!

The Christmas season has started in Norway and so far it is amazing!
It had its official start the day after my family and I celebrated Thanksgiving... Sunday November 27th was the first Sunday of the advent. There are 4 Sunday's in the advent and on each Sunday, one of the four candles gets lit. And then, as soon as December started, I noticed candles and stars also started popping up in the windows of houses all over.
And there is finally snow!


At first there was only snow up on our hill here in Hegra, but now there is a layer of snow covering this area of Norway.
Our advent calendar is up and each day Johan and I get a new present to open (I open them on the odd days and Johan gets the even days) So far we have gotten quite a few very  nice presents, like a new tooth brush (I got a blue one and Johan's is pink) 3 new pairs of socks, body wash, mints and some other good Christmas treats.
Strawberry Julenisse (Santa)
Marsipan Pig!

We have the candles in the windows, there is a star hanging in the window of the house and on the garage too and the curtains and mats of the coffee/end tables have been switched to red. Every where you look in the house there are little reminders that "Hei! Det e jul snart!... Hey! It's Christmas soon!"

On December 2nd two very exciting things happened. First, it was my (US) brother's 21st birthday (which in the US is one of the big ones!) I sent him a little package with two candy bars and a singing card (it was pink and sparkly and sang "twinkle twinkle little star" when it was opened). However, when he received it the package was ripped and he only had one candy bar! Thanks so much transatlantic mail system.. Awesome job you did there...
I love you big brother!

The second thing was a Christmas concert! I went with Mamma and one of her friends. It was an awesome concert with very talented local singers. I really enjoyed it and I think it got us in the Christmas spirit. It was a great montage of Christmas songs combined with interesting stage lighting and falling snow. It was very beautiful and fun, some parts made me get all choked up and some had me tapping my toes and singing along.

Another very special thing that has happened was last Wednesday. Pappa is the leader of a Horse Club in Hegra. Last Wednesday they had an event where they helped handicapped people ride horses or go for a ride in a sled. I joined Pappa and the rest of the members in a riding barn. I walked with the people to help them stay on the horses. There was coffee and julebrus and cake for everyone.
What is Julebrus? I'll tell you... It is a gift from the gods. It is a Christmas soda (literal translation... Jule= Christmas. Brus= Soda) and it is only sold at Christmas time. I'm pretty sure different areas of Norway sell different types, but I have been assured that the Nord-Trøndelag version is the very best. 
So goooood! 


Anyways, I had a lovely time at the horse event, although my toes froze (but there was no major damage done). Everyone that I met and talked to was very nice. They are an absolutely lovely group of people. 


After that, Pappa and I stopped at a neighbor's house with Kristian to see the batch of beer that they had made. I got to try some and it was... Interesting... I don't know if it was my favorite beer in the world. It has a very smokey taste, but Pappa said that is how it is supposed to be, so it was good. The room that the big vat was in smelled really good. Then we went home so I could change for volley ball practice. Ellen went with me and we had a very good time.
One thing I have learned in my 19 years is that this time of year is filled with all sorts of magic and lots of surprises. Well this past weekend I got a great surprise from Mamma og Pappa. I had a day off from school on Friday (not the surprise by the way) because of a thing called heldagsprøve, which is an all day test. We have a full day of each of our subjects and it just so happens that none of my subjects were on Friday, so I was free! I got up for breakfast at 10 with Mamma. She told me that we had to leave the house at 11:45 because she had a surprise for me. Last time they told me I had a surprise I wound up seeing Annette, so I decided not to question and just sat through breakfast in total anticipation of what it might be this time. At 11:45  we left the house and drove to Stjørdal, then through town and in the direction of the airport. When we pulled off I figured we were picking someone up... but who?
I joked with Mamma and asked if we were getting someone or if she was having me leave. She promised she was not sending me away. I got a parking ticket for us and we had until 12:21 to leave the car there. We went inside the airport, I was looking around desperately trying to see a familiar face, but to no avail. Mamma looked at the flight info and told me the flight was delayed, so she got coffee and we got a muffin to split. Just as we sat down Mamma pointed to a woman and asked me if i knew her. I said I wasn't sure and Mamma told me to take a little walk to find out. As I got closer I realized that I did indeed know her. I knew her very well in fact. It was Meg! She is one of my mom's friends from her time in Norway. They met on a train and quickly made the connection that they were both Vermont girls.
Mom and Meg in Oslo

As a kid I loved visiting with her and I was always so excited to see her. That excitement hasn't faded at all. When I realized who it was, I started to cry. It had been 7 years since I had seen her! When we got back into the car I looked at the clock and it was 12:21. Perfect.
Spending time with her was a wonderful gift. I introduced her to the horses and most of the dogs that live on the farm. We talked about so much and caught up on everything that had happened over the past years. We Skyped with my mom at home for a little bit. It was very funny because last time Meg and I were together I was so young, but this time we had a glass of wine together and played cards. Oh what a difference a few years can make..
Endelig... Finally! Together in Norway

On Saturday we went to Trondheim and dropped Meg off at her Father-in-law's apartment. I got the pleasure of meeting him. He is 95, but looking at him I would have thought he was in his 70's. He was active, very animated and full of vigor and life. He is one of those people that you just immediately know is amazing when you meet him. In his apartment there were pictures and posters from over the years, and Meg took me into one of the rooms and showed me one that was written in Norwegian. I couldn't fully make out what it said so Meg told me. It was hung in a store window when the Nazi Occupation in Norway happened during WWII. The sign said that the store was closed because the owner had an anti-Nazi view.  All I could manage to say was "Wow..."
Soon after that I had to say goodbye to Meg. It was so nice to see her again and I really hope our next visit happens sooner than another 7 years from now!
**Just one more thing** Today is her Meg's birthday!! Gratulerer med dagen Meg! I hope you had a wonderful  day! Word on the street is that you got some Ben&Jerry's ice cream... How could your day NOT be wonderful
Happy Birthday!
Saturday night I was invited to a Julebord at one of my friends houses. A Julebord is like a Christmas office party... kind of, but this one was for friends as opposed to coworkers. We had a nice dinner together and then watched Love Actually and part of one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. It was very nice.


After last weekend, I got sick. It was horrible. On Monday I had never had such a bad head ache in my life. Pappa made me some tea and I went to bed. Mamma came to check on me that night and  Tuesday morning. I didn't go to school on Tuesday. I barley had a voice... Johan got me noodles and Pappa gave me a Kvikk Lunsj bar. I have an awesome family.. They all take such good care of me.
Also, on Tuesday Berit (the cousin that we stayed with when we hiked Galdhøpiggen) came home for Christmas! It is so good to see her and have her around again. In fact, today is her birthday too! Gratulerer med dagen Berit!!!


Yesterday (Wednesday) I again went to an event to help handicapped people ride horses. This time though we all went in sleighs. There weren't quite enough sleighs for everybody so a few others and I stayed behind to wait for one to come back and pick us up. It was magical watching all of the sleighs glide off into the night and listening to their bells long after they had gone out of sight. Eventually one came back and we got in and went to a house that was decorated beautifully for Christmas
. There were gingerbread cookies and chocolate and gløgg (remember that? From Copenhagen?) However, this time the gløgg was just as good as it smelled! Some people sang Christmas Carols and a few danced. It was a very cozy evening. After everyone else had left, Ellen, Sarah (my cousin and her friend, who by the way were dressed as little Julenissen--Santas!) and I swing danced to Christmas tunes for a while. 



Ellen: The Candy Thief!

What a cute couple!

Julenissen!

The 21st is my last day of school, so less than a week left!.. And what a busy week it will be...


Coming attractions:

  • Later tonight I will go to Tante og Onkel's house to celebrate Berit's birthday!
  • Friday night there is the Christmas Ball! Fancy dresses, pizza for dinner and a live band. My dream come true! and I'm really not being sarcastic at all 
  • Also on Friday night my big sister FINALLY comes home from Denmark!!!! I am so excited to see Thea again!
  • Wednesday December 21st is my last day of school and all that it will consist of is a volley ball tournament!! Wooo!
I love Christmastime! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Siblings Already

Siblings Already
These are pictures that I found of my host brother on facebook compared to pictures of myself (from facebook). It looks like we're going to get along pretty well :D